Thursday, September 9, 2010

Putting on my push-up bra

Today I have decided that I am metaphorically putting on my stiletto heels and my push-up bra, and I am going dancing to find a man! What forced me to put on my shortest skirt and high heels, my girl friend? If I was going dancing with her, I would need to look just as good and have a better attitude. It reminded me of my early college years. My friends and I would go dancing at this night club called the Palladium. I hated going there. I rarely ever got asked to dance. Maybe it was because my girlfriends were taller than me, prettier than me, funnier than me or maybe it was my attitude. One night was tough, everyone was dancing except me. Each time a guy walked over, it was to dance with another friend and another. My self esteem was crushed. When someone did finally ask me to dance, I was so mad I said no. I didn’t need a sympathy dance. I needed to keep my winning losing streak. Sounds funny but that was how I felt. So why do I bring this up. Because the same feeling continue to come up in business. The feeling that I am not pretty enough, not smart enough, just not enough. The feeling that my company is not big enough, I don’t have enough employees. I am not capable. My offerings are saturated in the marketplace. There are too many girls like me- too many girls to choose from and I am not what companies –the boys, are looking for right now. Getting out there and introducing your services and company is a part of growing a business. Belonging to associations is a great way to build relationships and grow the business. The only problem is that not all associations, just like not all night clubs are going to be best for you. I belong to this organization which assists minority businesses in getting contacts with large corporations. The problem, there are too many people in my commodity. So do I want to dress up and go to the party? No, not really – but if I don’t, I will never find out if I find that right person that will take my business to the next level. Plus, I don’t want to hear about the great guy my girlfriend met and that I should have been there. So, I will have to put on my push-up bra, the stiletto heels, my positive attitude and see who takes notice of me. What do I have to lose…. There is nowhere to go but up.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderfully crafted...my sentiments exactly! You go Regina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being well-dressed for the occasion is a standard when dealing with those kinds of things. Doing that will make them know that you're the kind of person they can take seriously.

    Dennis Rode

    ReplyDelete