Monday, September 27, 2010

Hey wanna go out?

One of the hardest things an entrepreneur will ever do is hire and fire employees. The quest to find and keep good ones is like finding Big Foot or the Lochness monster. Some say they have seen it but has been ever elusive. As I read bad cover letter after bad cover letter, I keep hoping that I will find my prince charming amongst all these frogs. I feel like I am at a bar hearing every bad pick up line in the book. Come here often. What’s your sign? You must be an angel. Let’s tweet. Let’s be Facebook friends. “I recently found your job posting”. Well yeah I posted it. “I think I would be great at this job”. Yea- I am sure you do think that. But do you know anything about me, about my company? Did you even bother to spend the few minutes to see the website? Do you care? How many generic cover letters have you sent out? Do you go out to a bar and use the same pick up line- going to girl after girl till one wants to go out. NO! So how can you send the same cover letter to company after company and expect to get that interview? Your career is riding on the line but still you chose not to spend the extra time to set yourself apart. Then you have those candidates that sound so good in the cover letter, you want to hire them on the spot. He is so good looking but after further review, no one is home, there is nothing in the head. The resume does not support the letter. Who really wrote it? How can this be the same person? Most likely it is not.

It has taken me years, but now I find it rather comical. It is Darwin’s theory. It has become survival of the fittest. Let them weed themselves out. Show no mercy. Tell that guy -thanks but no thanks. I want someone who will appreciate me for my beauty and not a conquest. Keep your free drink. I want someone who will help me grow my business and be there for the long term. Take the time to find the right person. Take it from me, It is best to hire slowly and fire quickly. You will save yourself a lot of heartache and money!

No comments:

Post a Comment